Just take a simple browse around my website or my Instagram feed and you’ll know that the look of my cakes is hugely important to me. I want my cakes to be a thing of beauty but first and foremost, the beauty is there as I want to draw you in to have a slice, a BIG slice, and for you to enjoy each and every morsel.
So if you haven’t guessed yet, I am all about the flavour! And one of those ways I achieve this is through using organic ingredients. Now not all ingredients for cakes are available in an organic form, like vanilla extract for example, but that’s when I will source the highest quality, premium products instead.
Flavour is king in my kitchen! For a long time, I’ve baked with organic ingredients where possible. When it comes to eggs, the yolks are always more vibrant in colour and in turn the flavour is so much richer. By using organic ingredients, my cakes are fuller in flavour and don’t contain unwanted chemicals that potentially can ruin the taste. I love unrefined sugar as it retains the natural colour of cane juice and the earthy flavour of the molasses. All of these factors contribute to a rounder and deeper flavour profile.
I use the same approach for cakes that cater for special dietary requirements. There are lots of ways to prepare vegan cakes, but I stay away from ingredients such as egg replacer as I prefer to use natural ingredients. Speaking of dietary requirements and allergies, as I have a child who is allergic to nuts - I have strong processes in place and take great caution to avoid cross contamination.
Okay, so let’s talk about flavours! Well, I am happy to make any flavour combination. Couples often choose to have flavourways that will be popular with all of the guests. But if you want to be adventurous, I suggest having tiers in different flavours so that you and your guests can get a little piece of one flavour or another that will make everyone happy.
For inspiration’s sake, I’ve shared a list here of all the flavours I can remember making. But if there’s something you don’t see here, just ask!
- lemon sponge cake with lemon curd and lemon buttercream
- Victoria sponge cake with vanilla buttercream and raspberry / strawberry / blackberry jam
- vanilla and raspberry sponge cake with white chocolate ganache
- vanilla sponge cake with fresh strawberries, prosecco syrup and vanilla buttercream
- vanilla cake with fresh raspberry buttercream
- red velvet with cream cheese frosting
- chocolate sponge cake with salted caramel and chocolate ganache (with an optional layer of puffed rice)
- caramel sponge cake with salted caramel and salted caramel buttercream
- orange cake with orange curd and orange buttercream
- coconut sponge cake with passionfruit curd and passionfruit buttercream
- coconut sponge with passionfruit curd and mango buttercream
- coffee sponge cake with coffee buttercream
- coffee cake with Baileys buttercream
- orange chocolate sponge cake with orange chocolate buttercream
- spiced ginger cake with cream cheese frosting
- chocolate sponge cake with mint buttercream
- carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting
- gingerbread sponge cake with cream cheese frosting
- banana cake with cream cheese frosting
- walnut cake with coffee buttercream
- chocolate & black cherry sponge with kirsch cherries and vanilla buttercream
- apple and cinnamon sponge cake with vanilla buttercream
- almond cake with almond buttercream
If you haven't got in touch already to talk about your cake, then hop on over her to drop me a line. Can't wait to hear from you xx
R & R Creative, Rebecca Carpenter Photography, Russell Kent Nicholls Videography, Storme Hair & Make-up.